Tired of all the misinformation spread by supplement companies?
Learn what works, what's a waste, and how to achieve your health goals with our free supplement mini-course.
Frequently Asked Questions about Fertility
Ashwagandha benefits for men
Ashwagandha does appear to have benefits for men specifically. These tend to centralize around testicular health and fertility while the antistress effects affect both sexes.
Are you looking for unbiased and trusted advice?To quickly see all the supplements studied for any one of 500+ outcomes (like blood pressure, muscle gain, fat loss, or anxiety), become an Examine.com Member.
If you are looking for step-by-step directions on what works - and what's a waste - to help improve your health, then our Supplement Guides are exactly what you need.
Human Effect Matrix
The Human Effect Matrix looks at human studies (it excludes animal and in vitro studies) to tell you what supplements affect fertility
|Grade||Level of Evidence [show legend]|
|Robust research conducted with repeated double-blind clinical trials|
|Multiple studies where at least two are double-blind and placebo controlled|
|Single double-blind study or multiple cohort studies|
|Uncontrolled or observational studies only|
Level of Evidence
? The amount of high quality evidence. The more evidence, the more we can trust the results.
Magnitude of effect
? The direction and size of the supplement's impact on each outcome. Some supplements can have an increasing effect, others have a decreasing effect, and others have no effect.
Consistency of research results
? Scientific research does not always agree. HIGH or VERY HIGH means that most of the scientific research agrees.
|Notable||Very High See all 9 studies|
|Minor||Very High See 2 studies|
|Minor||Moderate See 2 studies|
- Mahdi AA, et al. Withania somnifera Improves Semen Quality in Stress-Related Male Fertility. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. (2009)
- Gupta A, et al. Efficacy of Withania somnifera on seminal plasma metabolites of infertile males: a proton NMR study at 800 MHz. J Ethnopharmacol. (2013)
- Mayor S. Testosterone may improve sexual function and mood in older men with low levels. BMJ. (2016)
- Andrade C, et al. A double-blind, placebo-controlled evaluation of the anxiolytic efficacy ff an ethanolic extract of withania somnifera. Indian J Psychiatry. (2000)
- Chandrasekhar K, Kapoor J, Anishetty S. A prospective, randomized double-blind, placebo-controlled study of safety and efficacy of a high-concentration full-spectrum extract of ashwagandha root in reducing stress and anxiety in adults. Indian J Psychol Med. (2012)
- Agnihotri AP, et al. Effects of Withania somnifera in patients of schizophrenia: A randomized, double blind, placebo controlled pilot trial study. Indian J Pharmacol. (2013)
- Raut AA, et al. Exploratory study to evaluate tolerability, safety, and activity of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) in healthy volunteers. J Ayurveda Integr Med. (2012)