Curcumin is the primary bioactive substance in turmeric. It has anti-inflammatory properties, and there is decent evidence that it can alleviate various conditions, from chronic pain to depression. Curcumin has poor bioavailability on its own, and thus it is often combined with Black Pepper or with lipids.
Curcumin is most often used for
Curcuma longa, a flowering plant of the ginger family best known as a spice used in curry. It is a polyphenol with anti-inflammatory properties and the ability to increase the amount of antioxidants that the body produces.
Curcumin and the curcuminoids found in turmeric can be extracted to produce supplements that have a much higher potency than turmeric. However, orally ingested curcumin is poorly absorbed during digestion, so a variety of different formulations have been created to improve its bioavailability.
Supplementation with curcumin reliably reduces some markers of inflammation and increases the levels of endogenous antioxidants in the body. However, curcumin has a poor effect on markers of inflammation in people with chronic inflammatory diseases.
More research is needed on curcumin in many areas of health, but the current evidence shows small to moderate improvements in the symptoms of depression and moderate to large improvements in pain and function in osteoarthritis.. Curcumin also shows promise for treating a type of inflammatory bowel disease called ulcerative colitis, but further research is needed to clarify the optimal dose and route of administration.
Improvements in blood lipids, markers of glycemic control, blood pressure, liver enzymes, and weight loss have also been observed following supplementation with curcumin. However, the research on these outcomes is sometimes inconsistent and further high-quality randomized controlled trials are needed to draw firm conclusions.
One of curcumin’s greatest drawbacks is that it is poorly absorbed when orally ingested by itself.
In terms of potential adverse effects, doses of up to 8 grams of curcuminoids have not been associated with serious adverse effects in humans. However, long-term studies that are more comprehensive in their assessments are needed to confirm this lack of adverse effects. Studies using high doses of curcumin have reported some mild adverse effects, including nausea, diarrhea, headache, skin rash, and yellow stool. Use of curcumin with piperine (a black pepper extract) may cause adverse drug reactions because piperine greatly increases intestinal permeability. Not all formulations of curcumin have been safety tested to the same degree.
The potential beneficial effects of curcumin seem to be largely the result of its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. These properties are mediated by curcumin’s direct or indirect interaction with, and modulation of, various molecular targets, including transcription factors, enzymes, cell cycle proteins, receptors, cell surface adhesion molecules, growth factors, and protein kinases.
- Turmeric extract
- Curry Extract
- Curcuma Longa
- 1 7-Bis(4-hydroxy-3-3methoxyphenyl)hepta-1 6-diene-3 5-dione
- Curry (meal preparation using Turmeric)
- Tree Turmeric (a term for Berberis Aristata)
- ^Hewlings SJ, Kalman DSCurcumin: A Review of Its' Effects on Human HealthFoods.(2017 Oct 22)
- ^Anand P, Kunnumakkara AB, Newman RA, Aggarwal BBBioavailability of curcumin: problems and promisesMol Pharm.(2007 Nov-Dec)
- ^Shoba G, Joy D, Joseph T, Majeed M, Rajendran R, Srinivas PSInfluence of piperine on the pharmacokinetics of curcumin in animals and human volunteersPlanta Med.(1998 May)
- ^Jamwal RBioavailable curcumin formulations: A review of pharmacokinetic studies in healthy volunteersJ Integr Med.(2018 Nov)
- ^Jäger R, Lowery RP, Calvanese AV, Joy JM, Purpura M, Wilson JMComparative absorption of curcumin formulationsNutr J.(2014 Jan 24)
- ^Yallapu MM, Jaggi M, Chauhan SCCurcumin nanoformulations: a future nanomedicine for cancer.Drug Discov Today.(2012-Jan)
- ^Yu H, Huang QImproving the oral bioavailability of curcumin using novel organogel-based nanoemulsions.J Agric Food Chem.(2012-May-30)
- ^Ferguson JJA, Abbott KA, Garg MLAnti-inflammatory effects of oral supplementation with curcumin: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Nutr Rev.(2021-Aug-09)
- ^Tabrizi R, Vakili S, Akbari M, Mirhosseini N, Lankarani KB, Rahimi M, Mobini M, Jafarnejad S, Vahedpoor Z, Asemi ZThe effects of curcumin-containing supplements on biomarkers of inflammation and oxidative stress: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Phytother Res.(2019-Feb)
- ^Gorabi AM, Razi B, Aslani S, Abbasifard M, Imani D, Sathyapalan T, Sahebkar AEffect of curcumin on proinflammatory cytokines: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Cytokine.(2021-Jul)
- ^Alizadeh M, Kheirouri SCurcumin reduces malondialdehyde and improves antioxidants in humans with diseased conditions: a comprehensive meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Biomedicine (Taipei).(2019-Dec)
- ^Jakubczyk K, Drużga A, Katarzyna J, Skonieczna-Żydecka KAntioxidant Potential of Curcumin-A Meta-Analysis of Randomized Clinical Trials.Antioxidants (Basel).(2020-Nov-06)
- ^White CM, Pasupuleti V, Roman YM, Li Y, Hernandez AVOral turmeric/curcumin effects on inflammatory markers in chronic inflammatory diseases: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Pharmacol Res.(2019-Aug)
- ^Fusar-Poli L, Vozza L, Gabbiadini A, Vanella A, Concas I, Tinacci S, Petralia A, Signorelli MS, Aguglia ECurcumin for depression: a meta-analysisCrit Rev Food Sci Nutr.(2019 Aug 19)
- ^Wang Z, Zhang Q, Huang H, Liu ZThe efficacy and acceptability of curcumin for the treatment of depression or depressive symptoms: A systematic review and meta-analysis.J Affect Disord.(2021-Mar-01)
- ^Ng QX, Koh SSH, Chan HW, Ho CYXClinical Use of Curcumin in Depression: A Meta-Analysis.J Am Med Dir Assoc.(2017-Jun-01)
- ^Wang Z, Singh A, Jones G, Winzenberg T, Ding C, Chopra A, Das S, Danda D, Laslett L, Antony BEfficacy and Safety of Turmeric Extracts for the Treatment of Knee Osteoarthritis: a Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of Randomised Controlled Trials.Curr Rheumatol Rep.(2021-Jan-28)
- ^Wu J, Lv M, Zhou YEfficacy and side effect of curcumin for the treatment of osteoarthritis: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Pak J Pharm Sci.(2019-Jan)
- ^Dai W, Yan W, Leng X, Chen J, Hu X, Ao YEffectiveness of Curcuma longa extract versus placebo for the treatment of knee osteoarthritis: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Phytother Res.(2021-Nov)
- ^Hsiao AF, Lien YC, Tzeng IS, Liu CT, Chou SH, Horng YSThe efficacy of high- and low-dose curcumin in knee osteoarthritis: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Complement Ther Med.(2021-Dec)
- ^Kristopher Paultre, William Cade, Daniel Hernandez, John Reynolds, Dylan Greif, Thomas Michael BestTherapeutic effects of turmeric or curcumin extract on pain and function for individuals with knee osteoarthritis: a systematic reviewBMJ Open Sport Exerc Med.(2021 Jan 13)
- ^Goulart RA, Barbalho SM, Lima VM, Souza GA, Matias JN, Araújo AC, Rubira CJ, Buchaim RL, Buchaim DV, Carvalho ACA, Guiguer ÉLEffects of the Use of Curcumin on Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn's Disease: A Systematic Review.J Med Food.(2021-Jul)
- ^Goulart RA, Barbalho SM, Rubira CJ, Araújo AC, Lima VM, Rogerio Leoni B, Guiguer ELCurcumin therapy for ulcerative colitis remission: systematic review and meta-analysis.Expert Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol.(2020-Dec)
- ^Ting Zheng, Xin Wang, Zongran Chen, Anqi He, Zicheng Zheng, Gang LiuEfficacy of adjuvant curcumin therapy in ulcerative colitis: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsJ Gastroenterol Hepatol.(2020 May)
- ^Si Qin, Lifan Huang, Jiaojiao Gong, Shasha Shen, Juan Huang, Hong Ren, Huaidong HuEfficacy and safety of turmeric and curcumin in lowering blood lipid levels in patients with cardiovascular risk factors: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsNutr J.(2017 Oct 11)
- ^Azhdari M, Karandish M, Mansoori AMetabolic benefits of curcumin supplementation in patients with metabolic syndrome: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Phytother Res.(2019-May)
- ^Fen Yuan, Hui Dong, Jing Gong, Dingkun Wang, Meilin Hu, Wenya Huang, Ke Fang, Xin Qin, Xin Qiu, Xueping Yang, Fuer LuA Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials on the Effects of Turmeric and Curcuminoids on Blood Lipids in Adults with Metabolic DiseasesAdv Nutr.(2019 Sep 1)
- ^Chien YJ, Chang CY, Wu MY, Chen CH, Horng YS, Wu HCEffects of Curcumin on Glycemic Control and Lipid Profile in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: Systematic Review with Meta-Analysis and Trial Sequential Analysis.Nutrients.(2021-Feb-21)
- ^Damoon Ashtary-Larky, Mahnaz Rezaei Kelishadi, Reza Bagheri, Seyedeh Parisa Moosavian, Alexei Wong, Sayed Hossein Davoodi, Pardis Khalili, Frédéric Dutheil, Katsuhiko Suzuki, Omid AsbaghiThe Effects of Nano-Curcumin Supplementation on Risk Factors for Cardiovascular Disease: A GRADE-Assessed Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Clinical TrialsAntioxidants (Basel).(2021 Jun 24)
- ^Tian J, Feng B, Tian ZThe Effect of Curcumin on Lipid Profile and Glycemic Status of Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.Evid Based Complement Alternat Med.(2022)
- ^Saeedi F, Farkhondeh T, Roshanravan B, Amirabadizadeh A, Ashrafizadeh M, Samarghandian SCurcumin and blood lipid levels: an updated systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised clinical trials.Arch Physiol Biochem.(2022-Dec)
- ^Dehzad MJ, Ghalandari H, Amini MR, Askarpour MEffects of curcumin/turmeric supplementation on lipid profile: A GRADE-assessed systematic review and dose-response meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Complement Ther Med.(2023-Aug)
- ^de Melo ISV, Dos Santos AF, Bueno NBCurcumin or combined curcuminoids are effective in lowering the fasting blood glucose concentrations of individuals with dysglycemia: Systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsPharmacol Res.(2018 Feb)
- ^Hadi A, Pourmasoumi M, Ghaedi E, Sahebkar AThe effect of Curcumin/Turmeric on blood pressure modulation: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Pharmacol Res.(2019-Dec)
- ^Dehzad MJ, Ghalandari H, Amini MR, Askarpour MEffects of curcumin/turmeric supplementation on liver function in adults: A GRADE-assessed systematic review and dose-response meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Complement Ther Med.(2023-Jun)
- ^M H Ngu, M N Norhayati, Z Rosnani, M M ZulkifliCurcumin as adjuvant treatment in patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver (NAFLD) disease: A systematic review and meta-analysisComplement Ther Med.(2022 Sep)
- ^Jalali M, Mahmoodi M, Mosallanezhad Z, Jalali R, Imanieh MH, Moosavian SPThe effects of curcumin supplementation on liver function, metabolic profile and body composition in patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Complement Ther Med.(2020-Jan)
- ^Mansour-Ghanaei F, Pourmasoumi M, Hadi A, Joukar FEfficacy of curcumin/turmeric on liver enzymes in patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: A systematic review of randomized controlled trials.Integr Med Res.(2019-Mar)
- ^Unhapipatpong C, Polruang N, Shantavasinkul PC, Julanon N, Numthavaj P, Thakkinstian AThe effect of curcumin supplementation on weight loss and anthropometric indices: an umbrella review and updated meta-analyses of randomized controlled trials.Am J Clin Nutr.(2023-May)
- ^Nima Baziar, Mohammad ParohanThe effects of curcumin supplementation on body mass index, body weight, and waist circumference in patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: A systematic review and dose-response meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsPhytother Res.(2020 Mar)
- ^Mousavi SM, Milajerdi A, Varkaneh HK, Gorjipour MM, Esmaillzadeh AThe effects of curcumin supplementation on body weight, body mass index and waist circumference: a systematic review and dose-response meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr.(2020)
- ^Jafarirad S, Mansoori A, Adineh A, Panahi Y, Hadi A, Goodarzi RDoes Turmeric/curcumin Supplementation Change Anthropometric Indices in Patients with Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease? A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials.Clin Nutr Res.(2019-Jul)
- ^Akbari M, Lankarani KB, Tabrizi R, Ghayour-Mobarhan M, Peymani P, Ferns G, Ghaderi A, Asemi ZThe Effects of Curcumin on Weight Loss Among Patients With Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials.Front Pharmacol.(2019)
- ^Hariri M, Haghighatdoost FEffect of Curcumin on Anthropometric Measures: A Systematic Review on Randomized Clinical TrialsJ Am Coll Nutr.(2018 Mar-Apr)
- ^Lao CD, Ruffin MT 4th, Normolle D, Heath DD, Murray SI, Bailey JM, Boggs ME, Crowell J, Rock CL, Brenner DEDose escalation of a curcuminoid formulationBMC Complement Altern Med.(2006 Mar 17)
- ^Sharma RA, Euden SA, Platton SL, Cooke DN, Shafayat A, Hewitt HR, Marczylo TH, Morgan B, Hemingway D, Plummer SM, Pirmohamed M, Gescher AJ, Steward WPPhase I clinical trial of oral curcumin: biomarkers of systemic activity and complianceClin Cancer Res.(2004 Oct 15)
- ^Cheng AL, Hsu CH, Lin JK, Hsu MM, Ho YF, Shen TS, Ko JY, Lin JT, Lin BR, Ming-Shiang W, Yu HS, Jee SH, Chen GS, Chen TM, Chen CA, Lai MK, Pu YS, Pan MH, Wang YJ, Tsai CC, Hsieh CYPhase I clinical trial of curcumin, a chemopreventive agent, in patients with high-risk or pre-malignant lesionsAnticancer Res.(2001 Jul-Aug)
- ^Kanit Pungcharoenkul, Phensri ThongnopnuaEffect of different curcuminoid supplement dosages on total in vivo antioxidant capacity and cholesterol levels of healthy human subjectsPhytother Res.(2011 Nov)
- ^Han HKThe effects of black pepper on the intestinal absorption and hepatic metabolism of drugs.Expert Opin Drug Metab Toxicol.(2011-Jun)
- ^Lopresti AL, Hood SD, Drummond PDMultiple antidepressant potential modes of action of curcumin: a review of its anti-inflammatory, monoaminergic, antioxidant, immune-modulating and neuroprotective effectsJ Psychopharmacol.(2012 Dec)
- ^Lin JKMolecular targets of curcumin.Adv Exp Med Biol.(2007)
- ^Zhou H, Beevers CS, Huang SThe targets of curcumin.Curr Drug Targets.(2011-Mar-01)