ECA is most often used for
The main component, Ephedrine, is the main active ingredient for weight loss and the caffeine augments its efficacy. The aspirin is added to prevent blood clotting (which may be a side effect of ephedrine) and to aid in the signal transduction of ephedrine via prostaglandin inhibition.
Some proponents of the ECA stack recommend replacing the Aspirin in the stack with either Fish Oil or White willow bark, as Aspirin is linked to various organ side effects and the previous two compounds share the same anti-clotting mechanisms.
Studies have shown that the combination of Ephedrine and Caffeine is superior for fat loss than taking each individually. As ephedrine can increase heart rate and caffeine may increase blood pressure (in a naive user), the combination tends to have an additive rather than synergistic toxicological profile.
- ECA Stack
- EC Stack
- ^Astrup A, Breum L, Toubro S, Hein P, Quaade FThe effect and safety of an ephedrine/caffeine compound compared to ephedrine, caffeine and placebo in obese subjects on an energy restricted diet. A double blind trialInt J Obes Relat Metab Disord.(1992 Apr)
- ^Toubro S, Astrup AV, Breum L, Quaade FSafety and efficacy of long-term treatment with ephedrine, caffeine and an ephedrine/caffeine mixtureInt J Obes Relat Metab Disord.(1993 Feb)
- ^Astrup A, Toubro S, Cannon S, Hein P, Madsen JThermogenic synergism between ephedrine and caffeine in healthy volunteers: a double-blind, placebo-controlled studyMetabolism.(1991 Mar)
- ^Haller CA, Jacob P 3rd, Benowitz NLEnhanced stimulant and metabolic effects of combined ephedrine and caffeineClin Pharmacol Ther.(2004 Apr)
- Total cholesterol - Daly PA, Krieger DR, Dulloo AG, Young JB, Landsberg LEphedrine, caffeine and aspirin: safety and efficacy for treatment of human obesityInt J Obes Relat Metab Disord.(1993 Feb)
- Metabolic Rate - T J Horton, C A GeisslerPost-prandial thermogenesis with ephedrine, caffeine and aspirin in lean, pre-disposed obese and obese womenInt J Obes Relat Metab Disord.(1996 Feb)
- Pain - Schachtel BP, Voelker M, Sanner KM, Gagney D, Bey M, Schachtel EJ, Becka MDemonstration of the analgesic efficacy and dose-response of acetylsalicylic acid with pseudoephedrineJ Clin Pharmacol.(2010 Dec)
- Nasal Congestion - Loose I, Winkel MClinical, double-blind, placebo-controlled study investigating the combination of acetylsalicylic acid and pseudoephedrine for the symptomatic treatment of nasal congestion associated with common coldArzneimittelforschung.(2004)
- Metabolic Rate - Horton TJ, Geissler CAAspirin potentiates the effect of ephedrine on the thermogenic response to a meal in obese but not lean womenInt J Obes.(1991 May)