ON SALE UNTIL TONIGHT: Evidence-based Keto
Unbiased truth on keto and long-term effects on health, safety, pre-existing conditions, losing weight, and more.Learn the latest on keto
Everything you need to know about the keto diet
When we asked our users what they wanted us to cover, many of them mentioned the keto diet.
So we listened. We spent the year looking up the research on the ketogenic diet to help guide you in your journey.
With Evidence-based Keto, Examine.com gives you all the scientific research, but in understandable language with tons of informative infographics. No opinion, no bias, no conflict of interest.
If you’re interested in keto, this is a must-have unbiased source.
Scientific Research on Glucuronolactone
Click on any below to expand the corresponding section. Click on to collapse it.
In vitro, D-glucuronolactone can be metabolized by a dehydrogenase into D-Glucaro-1,4-Lactone (G14L), where D-glucuronolactone appears to metabolize into a dilactone (d-glucaro-1,4-3,6-dilactone) and then spontaneously degrade into G14L.
D-Glucaric acid is the main urinary metabolite of the glucuronic acid pathway, which synthesizes Glucuronic Acid for the purposes of conjugation by drug metabolizing enzymes (UGT transferases). Daily urine output of D-Glucaric Acid is approximately 30-100umol.
Glucuronolactone is a prodrug for the compound D-Glucaro-1,4-Lactone
Can be used to synthesize Vitamin C in creatures capable of this conversion, which are not humans
1,4-GL can be seen as protective for blood vessel health by alleviating oxidative/nitrative damage to lipoproteins from reactive species such as hydroperoxide and peroxynitrate, as well as acting as an anti-platelet aggregative compound. It may be synergistic with resveratrol in this regard.
When consuming an energy drink (80mg caffeine, 1000mg taurine, 800mg Glucuronolactone; sugar free with B-complex), an overall increase in platelet aggregation appears to occur in otherwise healthy persons with infrequent energy drink consumption. Participants refrained from caffeine for a week prior to testing, and the contribution of Glucuronolactone towards the observed effects was not established.
One study injecting glucuronolactone (100mg/kg) intraperitoneally in rats immediately prior to a 30 minute swim and subsequent rest (the swim which was repeated three times, each with an injection prior to the swim) noted that glucuronolactone failed to affect time to exhaustion in the first swim but improved performance relative to saline in the second and third swim.
- Mets MA, et al. Positive effects of Red Bull® Energy Drink on driving performance during prolonged driving. Psychopharmacology (Berl). (2011)
- Debunking the Effects of Taurine in Red Bull Energy Drink.
- Marsh CA. Metabolism of D-glucuronolactone in mammalian systems. Inhibitory properties of the products of D-glucuronolactone-dehydrogenase action. Biochem J. (1966)
- Perry W, Jenkins MV. Note on the enzyme assay for urinary D-glucaric acid and correlation with rifampicin-induced mixed function oxidase activity. Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther Toxicol. (1986)
- Metabolism of d-glucuronolactone in mammalian systems. Identification of d-glucaric acid as a normal constituent of urine.
- Marsh CA. An enzymatic determination of D-glucaric acid by conversion to pyruvate. Anal Biochem. (1985)
- Marsh CA. Biosynthesis of D-glucaric acid in mammals: a free-radical mechanism. Carbohydr Res. (1986)
- Smirnoff N. L-ascorbic acid biosynthesis. Vitam Horm. (2001)
- Wang R, et al. Degradation kinetics of glucuronic acid in subcritical water. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. (2010)
- Saluk-Juszczak J, et al. Protective effects of D-glucaro-1,4-lactone against oxidative modifications in blood platelets. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. (2008)
- Olas B, et al. Protective effects of D-glucaro 1,4-lactone against oxidative/nitrative modifications of plasma proteins. Nutrition. (2007)
- Olas B, Saluk-Juszczak J, Wachowicz B. D-glucaro 1,4-lactone and resveratrol as antioxidants in blood platelets. Cell Biol Toxicol. (2008)
- Worthley MI, et al. Detrimental effects of energy drink consumption on platelet and endothelial function. Am J Med. (2010)
- Tamura S, et al. Effects of glucuronolactone and the other carbohydrates on the biochemical changes produced in the living body of rats by hard exercise. Jpn J Pharmacol. (1968)
- [No authors listed. Calcium-D-glucarate. Altern Med Rev. (2002)
- Walaszek Z. Potential use of D-glucaric acid derivatives in cancer prevention. Cancer Lett. (1990)
- Wilson CP, et al. Riboflavin offers a targeted strategy for managing hypertension in patients with the MTHFR 677TT genotype: a 4-y follow-up. Am J Clin Nutr. (2012)