No fake reviews. No selling you supplements. Just evidence-based information on what works
Our free supplement mini-course teaches you what works, what's a waste, and how to achieve your health goals.
Join the over 200,000 people who have gone through this course (saving themselves time and millions of dollars).
Get access to the latest research
By becoming an Examine.com Member, you'll have access to all of the latest nutrition research on over 300 supplements across over 500 different health goals, outcomes, conditions, and more.
Scientific Research on Turmeric
Click on any below to expand the corresponding section. Click on to collapse it.
Calorically, 100g Turmeric root contains:
10g total fat (25% of calories) consisting of 3g saturated (7.6% total calories)
65g total carbohydrates; 21g of which are dietary fiber and 3g sugars
8g total protein
Turmeric tends to have a 9% or greater moisture content
Sequesterpenes germacrone, termerone, ar-(+)-, α- and β-termerones, β-bisabolene, a-curcumene, zingiberenel, β-sesquiphellanderene, bisacurone, curcumenone, dehydrocurdione, procurcumadiol, bis-acumol, curcumenol, isoprocurcumenol, epiprocurcumenol, procurcumenol, zedoaronediol, and curlone
Volatile Oils (less than 3.5% dry weight) consisting of d-α-phellandrene, d-sabinene, cinol, borneol, zingiberene, and sesquiterpenes such as tumerones
(Rhizome) stigmasterole, β-sitosterole, cholesterole, and 2-hydroxymethyl anthraquinone
- Goel A, Aggarwal BB. Curcumin, the golden spice from Indian saffron, is a chemosensitizer and radiosensitizer for tumors and chemoprotector and radioprotector for normal organs. Nutr Cancer. (2010)
- An unsymmetrical diarylheptanoid from Curcuma longa.
- Masuda T, et al. Chemical studies on antioxidant mechanism of curcuminoid: analysis of radical reaction products from curcumin. J Agric Food Chem. (1999)
- Structures of sesquiterpenes from Curcuma longa.
- Tuntipopipat S, et al. Chili, but not turmeric, inhibits iron absorption in young women from an iron-fortified composite meal. J Nutr. (2006)