Not by themselves.
As we explained on another page, the only factor in weight loss is consuming less calories than one needs, regardless of the make up of protein, fat, and carbohydrates. This is true for the inverse - to gain fat, you must consume more calories than you need, regardless of protein, fat, and carbohydrates content.
The process in which carbohydrates are converted into fat deposits is called de novo lipogensis (DNL).
Another study found that eating carbohydrates at night had no negative impact on fat loss.
So while carbohydrates can inhibit fat burning, putting the onus on carbohydrates themselves (instead of excessive calories) as the cause behind fat gain is incorrect.
💊 Get unbiased supplement information
- Is saturated fat bad for your health?
- Low-fat vs. low-carb? Major study concludes: it doesn’t matter for weight loss
- Does Garcinia Cambogia help with weight loss?
- Can hypothyroidism lead to fat gain?
- How do I stay out of "starvation mode?"
- How eating better can make you happier
- Measuring body fat percentage: It's an accuracy thing
- Does eating at night make it more likely to gain weight?
- Does diet soda inhibit fat loss?
- How to minimize fat gain when you binge
- Be the tortoise or the hare: it doesn’t matter for fat loss
- A compound from beer may help fat loss
- Can one binge make you fat?
- How do I get a six-pack?
- Does eating a higher carb diet make you more full?
- How does protein affect weight loss?
- What should you eat for weight loss?
- Will eating eggs increase my cholesterol?
- Really-low-fat vs somewhat-lower-carb - a nuanced analysis
- Will lifting weights convert my fat into muscle?
- How do I lose fat around my belly?
- How much fat do I need to absorb vitamin D?
- Does high-protein intake help when dieting?
- How are carbohydrates converted into fat deposits?
- Does eating fat make you fat?
- Is diet soda bad for you?
- How important is sleep?
- How to minimize fat gain during the holidays
- What is Adrenal Fatigue?
- I have lost significant weight and now have loose skin. How can I tighten up my skin?
- Put down the apple and have some cheddar
- Stepping up weight loss: Can walking help dieters shed fat?
- Is it better to do aerobic exercise fasted?
- De novo lipogenesis in humans: metabolic and regulatory aspects. Eur J Clin Nutr. (1999) Hellerstein MK.
- No common energy currency: de novo lipogenesis as the road less traveled. Am J Clin Nutr. (2001) Hellerstein MK.
- De novo lipogenesis during controlled overfeeding with sucrose or glucose in lean and obese women. Am J Clin Nutr. (2001) McDevitt RM, et al.
- Short-term alterations in carbohydrate energy intake in humans. Striking effects on hepatic glucose production, de novo lipogenesis, lipolysis, and whole-body fuel selection. J Clin Invest. (1995) Schwarz JM, et al.
- Greater weight loss and hormonal changes after 6 months diet with carbohydrates eaten mostly at dinner. Obesity (Silver Spring). (2011) Sofer S, et al.