Follow this Page for updates
Your e-mail is safe with us. We don’t share personal data.
Turmeric is a Spice that has traditional usage worldwide, but is mostly known to be used in Indian dishes where it is primarily associated with curry.
Calorically, 100g Turmeric root contains:
10g total fat (25% of calories) consisting of 3g saturated (7.6% total calories)
65g total carbohydrates; 21g of which are dietary fiber and 3g sugars
8g total protein
Turmeric tends to have a 9% or greater moisture content
Sequesterpenes germacrone, termerone, ar-(+)-, α- and β-termerones, β-bisabolene, a-curcumene, zingiberenel, β-sesquiphellanderene, bisacurone, curcumenone, dehydrocurdione, procurcumadiol, bis-acumol, curcumenol, isoprocurcumenol, epiprocurcumenol, procurcumenol, zedoaronediol, and curlone
Volatile Oils (less than 3.5% dry weight) consisting of d-α-phellandrene, d-sabinene, cinol, borneol, zingiberene, and sesquiterpenes such as tumerones
(Rhizome) stigmasterole, β-sitosterole, cholesterole, and 2-hydroxymethyl anthraquinone
500mg of turmeric as a spice does not appear to interfere with iron absorption in young women.
- Goel A, Aggarwal BB Curcumin, the golden spice from Indian saffron, is a chemosensitizer and radiosensitizer for tumors and chemoprotector and radioprotector for normal organs . Nutr Cancer. (2010)
- An unsymmetrical diarylheptanoid from Curcuma longa
- Masuda T, et al Chemical studies on antioxidant mechanism of curcuminoid: analysis of radical reaction products from curcumin . J Agric Food Chem. (1999)
- Structures of sesquiterpenes from Curcuma longa
- Tuntipopipat S, et al Chili, but not turmeric, inhibits iron absorption in young women from an iron-fortified composite meal . J Nutr. (2006)
- Writing Group for the NINDS Exploratory Trials in Parkinson Disease (NET-PD) Investigators, et al Effect of creatine monohydrate on clinical progression in patients with Parkinson disease: a randomized clinical trial . JAMA. (2015)
- Taylor MJ1, et al Folate for depressive disorders . Cochrane Database Syst Rev. (2003)
- Godfrey PS1, et al Enhancement of recovery from psychiatric illness by methylfolate . Lancet. (1990)
- Kushwaha S1, Chawla P1, Kochhar A1 Effect of supplementation of drumstick (Moringa oleifera) and amaranth (Amaranthus tricolor) leaves powder on antioxidant profile and oxidative status among postmenopausal women . J Food Sci Technol. (2014)